Tuesday, May 28, 2013

Bring in the Dancing Lobsters

I don't know what it's like to be Amanda Bynes. I don't know what it's like to walk in her shoes. All I know is that I've looked up to her for years. She's a terribly funny person who created her own kid's version of Saturday Night Live. How freaking cool is that?

We may feel like we know her from what we read in the media everyday. And all that crap is what turns me off from my own possible profession. Every day someone is ripping her apart, reporting her mishaps and mistakes and downward spiral. And I can't help but think, are we creating that downward spiral?

Aren't we supposed to think about the person on the other side of the stories we report?

No one could possibly know the depths of her struggle. And yet, it's plastered all over every TV, newspaper, and website.  She is the butt of jokes on late night television and Twitter and Facebook. But just think, what if this was me? What if I was Amanda Bynes? Wouldn't seeing or hearing these things push me further down the path of destruction?

Amanda Bynes is 27 years old in a business that ensures no security to anyone.  Despite Hollywood, everyone (I don't care who you are) goes through a stage of confusion and doubt and loneliness, especially in their 20's. I have no idea where my life is going to go. And I'm sure Amanda Bynes feels the same way. Scared. Deep down, she is just like us. Erase the media crap around her and look a little deeper. You have a confused, talented 27 year old girl whose lost sight of herself and her goals.

She grew up in a bubble, the Hollywood bubble, which few people can handle, nevermind a child. She doesn't really know any other way of life. She never really had a childhood. She was always in the spotlight. Maybe this could be what has done her in.

We truly don't know.

She has a mental disorder. She needs help.

Yet, look at the history of what the media has done to celebrities with mental disorders like Amanda's.
Lindsay Lohan has been torn apart in the media for years for her drug and alcohol abuse and overall behavior. Amanda Bynes seems to be spiraling down a similar path. Britney Spears was ridiculed for her drug and alcohol abuse and overall behavior while going through what I assume was the toughest part of her life. They made fun of her. Charlie Sheen seemed to be almost praised for his behavior. There was so much hype around him and his live web chats and his "tour." How in the world can this help anyone?

These people are normal people, just like you and me. Their lives just get picked apart to no end.

Before you go making a stupid comment about someone, anyone, think. Think how it might affect them. Don't judge them. You've never taken a walk in their shoes. Be kind to everyone you meet, for they are all fighting a hard battle.


I know this isn't my usual kind of blog post, but I felt I needed to post my two cents. Now we might as well bring in the dancing lobsters!

No comments:

Post a Comment