Wednesday, May 16, 2012

Without TV, I Am Nothing

     I was watching the View and the President was on and he was talking about how he doesn't let Sasha and Melia (check those spellings) watch TV during the week. Well, I have no idea what he talked about for the rest of the hour because after he said that I was so confused. What do they do during the week if they can't watch TV?
      When I was younger, my mom worked and I spent the days with my Noni. Her TV does not have an "off" button. We would watch The Price Is Right and Noni would yell at the TV. "HIGHER! HIGHER! Why don't they listen to me?!" And I would then eat my peanut butter and jelly sandwich while the noon news came on and Mr. Food showed us his recipe for the day. Then it was time for her "stories" which meant time for my nap. Her TV stayed on the same channel all daayyy. It was always on WYOU. She watched every CBS soap and I would always wake up in time for As The World Turns, but she never knew that. Then at 3:00 Montell came on. She had the TV on the family room, in the kitchen, Grandpa's TV would be blasting in his room. And I can still hear the MASH theme song in the background as she yelled, "IACER! DINNER!" Aaaaand she would yell again, "IACER!! COME ON! IACER! DINNER!" Happy times.
        Once my mom had the twins, she left Moses Taylor Hospital and decided to stay home with us. It was then I realized, she was pretty much the same as Noni. Except, she would watch the Today Show in the morning and whatever Matt Lauer said was the ultimate truth. She watched every news cast even though it was the same thing over and over again. Her TV, too, did have an "off" switch.
        I remember when i first got a TV in my room. It was the greatest thing ever. My dad won the TV in a golf tournament. I could watch Rugrats and Hey Arnold all day. It was magical. My TV, too, did not have an "off" switch.
       Even now, as I'm in college and I go to visit my grandparents, the TV is on. I go to Noni's and we watch WYOU all day. Starting with the Bold and the Beautiful and ending with Judge Judy. I go to my Nana's and CNN or MSNBC is on and then we switch to the local news on WNEP and then we watch Millionaire. I recently showed them that they can catch up with their shows On Demand. They were amazed. It was a life changing experience.
        I woke up the other morning and it was oddly quiet in the house. I didn't hear Al Roker's voice from the TV downstairs saying, "And here's what's happening in your neck of the woods." I couldn't take it. I had a headache from the silence. I went downstairs and my mom was no where to be found. And the TV wasn't on. I thought something terrible had happened. Well, she went for a walk with the neighbor, so nothing bad happened. But it scared me. I've realized that without a television, I am nothing. I would not be the person I am today without my inability and my family's inability to turn off the TV. I remember when I thought I wanted to be a nurse like my mom because I thought it was like ER. Turns out, I actually just want to be a nurse on an exciting TV show like ER, or create an exciting show like ER, or report on an exciting story like the ones on ER. Yepp, I would be nothing without television.

1 comment:

  1. Heyyyy! When are you going to post again? Did you know that we added you to NEPA Blogs? Because we totally did!

    ReplyDelete