Saturday, March 17, 2012

The Jokeman

If you've ever been on South Street in Philadelphia, chances are, you have come across the infamous "joke man." For the very first time in my life, I did. Just this past Thursday actually. I went to see OAR in concert and got there a tad bit early so I could get up front (which I did, of course) and as I was standing in line, I saw this big guy in all black heading toward the line. All of a sudden every one said, "Oh man, here's the joke man. Don't make eye contact." Well, of course I did. I like jokes. So on over he strolls telling me some pretty dirty one liners before he hit the closing joke of his act, "What's the best nation?" I didn't know. Ireland? (Happy St. Paddy's Day, by the way) "A donation." Well, I gave him some spare change and he went on his merry way. But I thought long and hard about this guy. Where did he come from? Why is he so infamous? How did he get in to the comedy business? I want to be in that business. Tell jokes for a living. But this guy does one act and makes a dollar. That scares me a little. It probably takes a lot of what this guy is doing to become like Ellen Degeneres. Actually, probably not at all, I doubt Ellen started out wearing all black and walking around South Street telling cheesy dirty jokes to people that made eye contact with her. Whatever, I'll give it a shot. If that doesn't work out, maybe I'll where all blue and walk down Market Street. Saturday Night Live, here I come.

No comments:

Post a Comment